The best products for heavy periods
We all experience heavy periods over our lifetime. Whether it’s something you habitually deal with or you’re taken by surprise every now and then, sometimes “surfing the crimson wave” is a pretty accurate description. What products are best for dealing with a heavy period? Well, you’re in the right place to find out. Stay tuned as we reveal the best period care options and top tips to help manage your heaviest days…
Best Products for Heavy Periods
When you’re experiencing a heavy period the most important things are leak protection and comfort. What’s the point of being fully protected if you’re not comfortable? And vice versa. These two factors go hand in hand when it comes to searching for products for heavy periods. Here’s our ultimate list on the heavy period care that’s going to keep you comfy and ensure you don’t leak and even better, they’re all gynaecologist approved…
Our Reusable Period Pants
We could talk all day long about how comfy our reusable period pants are. But we’ll try to keep it short and sweet. Super absorbent and super soft, they’re made from Soil Association certified organic cotton with a hint of elastane so they have a bit of stretch. Thanks to all that lovely organic cotton, they’re hypoallergenic so they respect the natural pH of your vagina (perfect for any one who suffers from sensitive skin or infections!).
Our pants work just like your normal underwear but they have a powerful secret: they feature 3D anti-leak technology made up of three layers of breathable organic cotton.
- A hypoallergenic layer that’s soft, comfortable and kind to your vagina.
- An absorbent middle layer made using 3D textile technology.
- A final anti-leak layer for breathable and waterproof protection.
Now onto the numbers, our period pants absorb up to 4 tampons worth of menstrual fluid. Pretty impressive if you think about how many times a day you change a tampon. Plus, they can be worn for up to 10 hours, so that’s a whole working day of not worrying about changing or leaking. A dream come true!
Our Menstrual Cup
If pants aren’t for you, we have another reusable period care option that also works for heavier days. The silky-smooth, zero-waste period gamechanger with no strings attached, the period cup is a sustainable period hero.
Unlike pads, tampons or pants, the period cup collects your menstrual fluid rather than absorbing it, meaning your vagina’s delicate pH balance is protected. So, anyone who suffers from sensitive skin or is susceptible to dryness, the period cup is for you!
Even better, our cup can be worn for up to 12 hours and holds up to three times more fluid than a tampon, so you’ll be able to go about your day without worrying about changing or leaking.
Our Biodegradable Organic Cotton Designed for Heavy Days
We know that reusable period care isn’t for everyone, so we also offer a biodegradable organic cotton collection. Made from sustainably sourced Soil Association certified organic cotton, this range features absolutely zero synthetics, chlorine bleach, dyes or perfumes - unlike the period care you’ll find from mainstream sanitary brands on the high street.
Even better, they’re completely biodegradable within 18 months - unlike those plastic & bleach filled pads & tampons which can live in landfill for up to 800 years.
How do you compost &SISTERS pads & tampons?
- Simply create a warm & damp environment in a sealed bin and add to your compost regularly with ‘brown’ (cardboard, paper, egg cartons and fibrous plant stalks & stems) and ‘green’ (grass clippings, vegetable waste, fruit scraps and coffee grounds) compost.
- Brown compost takes longer to biodegrade than green, so cut them up or pull them apart by hand before popping them in the compost bin.
- And then wait! If set up in the right conditions, your &SISTERS period care will break down within 18 months and return to the soil.
So whether you prefer pads, applicator tampons or non-applicator tampons, when it comes to your heavy period - we’ve got you sorted.
Don’t Forget Our remüvie™ Intimate Stain Remover
Finally, even if we took all the precautions in the world, sometimes we leak. It’s just a fact of life. So, if you find that you’ve leaked onto your bed sheets or mattress, into your favourite pair of jeans or pants, with our remüvie™ Intimate Stain Remover, you can rest assured that they’re not permanently stained.
A gentle plant-based stain remover, remüvie™ is perfect for tackling the lingering reminder of period leaks. From the lightest of spotting to the toughest of stains on your bedsheets, the penetrating foam is fast-acting, easy to use & fragrance-free. Made from 100% sustainable & plant-based sources, remüvie™ is free from ammonia, phosphate and never, ever tested on animals.
How to use remüvie™
- Simply patch test a small area first.
- Spray directly onto the stain and leave for a few seconds.
- Dab gently with a wet cloth.
- Wipe clean and rinse the item with warm water before washing by hand or a suitable machine cycle.
Top Tips for Heavy Periods
- Make sure you carry some spare pads or tampons with you, this way if you need an extra change you’ll be prepared.
- Create yourself a period self care kit. This could include some painkillers, hot water bottle or heat pad, heavy pads or tampons, extra pants and maybe even a chocolate bar or too. Pop it all in a cosmetics bag so it’s easy to grab on the go.
- Keep track of your heavy period in a journal or tracker app. This will help you measure and visualise how often you experience a particularly heavy period. If anything seems out of the ordinary or changes, make an appointment with your doctor.
- Be kind to yourself. Having a heavy period is hard work, so take it easy and know that it's okay to take a break and look after yourself.
What About Recurrent Heavy Periods?
If you find yourself constantly experiencing heavy periods, it may be worth looking into whether you suffer from menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding).
Here are some signs you may have menorrhagia:
- You leak through one or more pads or tampons for several hours in a row.
- You need to double up on pads.
- You have to change pads or tampons during the night.
- Your periods last longer than 7 days.
- You pass blood clots larger than a 10p coin.
If you’re experiencing any of the above, make an appointment with your GP. Or the NHS has a self assessment quiz you can take.
Any more questions on heavy periods? Drop us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be more than happy to help!