How organic cotton period care can help with thrush
Wondering if anything can help with thrush? Well, you’re in the right place to find out. In this blog, we take a look at thrush, what causes thrush & how organic cotton can help with thrush.
What is thrush?
Thrush is an infection caused by the fungus Candida albicans, which can affect the mouth, throat, and genitals. Candida is a type of yeast that is naturally present in the body and usually lives harmlessly in the mouth, gut and vagina but it can overgrow when the body’s natural balance is disrupted.
- Thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection.
- Any gender can suffer from thrush.
- Thrush is not restricted to the vagina, you can also suffer from oral thrush and in some cases in the armpits and between the fingers too.
What can trigger thrush?
- Antibiotics use: antibiotics can disrupt the balance of bacteria in the body, allowing Candida albicans to overgrow.
- Hormonal changes: hormonal fluctuations, such as during pregnancy or menopause, can increase the risk of thrush.
- Immune system disorders: people with weakened immune systems, such HIV or cancer, have an increased risk of developing thrush.
- Diabetes: high levels of sugar in the blood can make it easier for Candida to grow.
- Using perfumed products, bubble baths or vaginal washing products.
- Smoking & alcohol consumption.
- Irritated or damaged skin.
- Underwear made from synthetic materials.
Symptoms of thrush
Some people won’t show any symptoms at all, but here’s a couple of common vaginal thrush symptoms:
- White, thick vaginal discharge (it’ll look a bit like cottage cheese)
- Itching and irritation or fissure (almost like paper cuts) around your vagina
- Pain when peeing or having sex.
- Redness or swelling of the vagina or vulva.
How does organic cotton help with thrush?
Thrush is a fungal infection, so it loves a warm & damp environment and your vagina is potentially the perfect spot. And this is where organic cotton can be your best weapon.
A natural & hypoallergenic fibre, organic cotton won't irritate your skin. Ultra-breathable, the natural fibres of organic cotton allow air to flow freely between the weave. Thanks to its moisture wicking properties, it helps take moisture away from your skin and helps keep a naturally warm & damp environment as fresh and dry as possible.
Plus, as organic cotton is grown without toxic chemicals, pesticides & fertilisers, there’s zero chance of the material affecting delicate skin with pH disrupting perfumes or dyes frequently found in mainstream period care.
So, whether it’s organic cotton pants or pads, it’s best to opt for natural materials. At &SISTERS, we only use sustainably sourced, Soil Association certified organic cotton in our period care. Read our blog for more information on why organic cotton is good for your health. Plus, you can find out even more about our organic cotton in our FAQs.
What can I do to avoid thrush?
- Dry your vagina properly after washing.
- Avoid sex if it’s uncomfortable.
- Don’t use soap or shower gel on your vulva.
- Drink lots of fluid.
- Use organic cotton period care.
- Wear organic cotton underwear.
- Use sensitive or fragrance-free detergents to wash your underwear.
- Swap to showers instead of baths.
- Don’t use douches or deodorants on your vagina.
Got another question about thrush? We’d love to hear it. Drop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org